Senior Java/Kotlin Backend Engineer (f,m,d)
What if we could actually do something about climate change? Immediately. Effectively. Collectively. That’s our vision: Make powerful, measurable climate action available to everyone — and then scale it up!
We are a team of mission-driven designers, engineers, and changemakers with a track record of building category-defining products, backed by Berlin’s top early-stage funders. This year we will launch our solution to empower millions to act as one united force for the planet.
Climate change is the biggest challenge humanity has ever faced. Join the fight and put your talent to work for good! We are right now looking for an experienced and product-oriented developer to boost our backend development. With multiple best-in-class mobile products on the team record, we’re looking for top talent to match this high standard on the backend side and push things even further together. The ability to work fully self-sufficient in a rapidly changing environment is equally core to the position as adjusting roles through the company’s life cycle.
What we offer
- Ownership of a product with social impact and global reach.
- Competitive salary and equity package
- High degree of autonomy
- State of the art work station… you tell us what you need!
- Free gym membership, metro ticket, and compensation of your personal CO2 footprint
- Flexible hours and a remote-friendly environment
- Relocation assistance
- Become part of a creative, friendly and purpose-driven team
- These are the early days — your input will make a real difference!
What we’re looking for
- You are an experienced backend engineer with a demonstrable track record of building reliable and scalable backend systems in the JVM ecosystem.
- You have excellent knowledge of Kotlin or Java and a good understanding of design patterns and software architectures.
- You have significant experience in building distributed systems, implementing and monitoring microservice infrastructures and designing restful API’s.
- You have very good knowledge of relational databases and ORM frameworks.
- You are well versed in the Spring ecosystem and know your way around with Docker, CI/CD and have experience in AWS (ECS, S3, RDS and Lambda are some of the technologies we use) and Cognito (Authentication).
- You feel at home in front-end development as well? This is a clear plus.
- You are passionate about creating the backbone for a great mobile app experience and understand the role of tech in a holistic framework.
- You are calm and focused under pressure and re-orient quickly in changing environments. When you don't fully understand something, you take it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You believe in clear and honest communication as the basis for effective and joyful teamwork. You consider work-life balance essential to long-term happiness and productivity.
What you’ll do
- You will help building our Spring Boot based backend and leading backend development as we scale.
- You will design and help define the standards for our backend tech stack.
- You will work directly with the CTO, bringing your expert knowledge and well-founded opinions to the table in all backend-related design decisions.
- You will work closely with our mobile team to assure cross-platform excellence.
What our tech stack looks like
- Our backend utilizes Java 11, Kotlin, Spring Boot ecosystem
- Our mobile efforts are powered by native Kotlin / Swift apps
- Our web stack utilizes Next.js and Angular
- Furthermore, we work with GitLab CI, Fastlane, Kanban, AWS, Docker, and everything that helps us get the job done.
We are committed to diversity and equity and seek to build an inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all different backgrounds.
If you’re looking for an incredible opportunity, a great place to work, and a chance to make a difference, we’re excited to consider your application!
A note on Covid-19 and WFH
We want you to stay safe during the Covid-19 pandemic! Therefore we are currently working from home and will provide all the office equipment you need to make your home office experience as productive and enjoyable as possible.
Once everything is back to normal we are looking forward to meeting you at our beautiful office in Berlin Mitte, featuring unlimited fresh fruits, delicious coffee, and a canteen with daily veggie options. Wanna make remote working a long term thing? We’re open to discussing that too.